Space Opera

This week I read Shards of Honor. I didn’t particularly like it because the characters weren’t engaging to me. It was also kind of disappointing that they were human characters, rather than another alien race. I did enjoy the descriptions of the planets that the two main characters were from, as well as the one that they were marooned on in the beginning of the novel. In those descriptions I saw elements of fantasy. I also saw elements of fantasy world building in how Barrayar was written, especially in the intricacies of the political climate and how the social structure works. I think this novel probably does work better as part of a series where the world can be built up, but right now I’m not sure if I will continue reading this series of books because I thought that the two main characters were really two dimensional and uninteresting.

Comments

Popular Posts